Thursday, August 7, 2008

Obama Fatigue: Ripping Covers From Magazines

By NancyA



Newsweek sent me a free subscription to their magazine, one I’ve been trying to cancel for weeks now. Every time there is a picture of Obama on the front cover I rip it off, it never makes it to the house. The cover hits the trash can at the end of the dirt driveway. Nope won’t even allow it in the house. I would much rather burn it… When I’m not ripping off the front cover, I rip whole articles out of the magazine if it even mentions Obama. I am growing tired, the mention of his name puts me to sleep.

If tearing up magazines isn’t bad enough, I throw away the section of the newspaper he is mentioned in. Nope. I refuse to recycle it even. Newspaper is a commodity in this house, I need it for packing boxes. I won’t have it wrapping my fragile items. I really don’t want to open those boxes and see Obama’s face. Nope, can’t do it.

When the TV is on and I hear his name, I have to mute the sound. If the station, usually Fox insists on showing his face, I have to change channels. The repetition makes me want to take to my bed and sleep. Did I mention I am packing to move? I shut the TV down entirely. Did I mention I don’t watch CNN and MSNBC anymore, too much of him. Can’t do it and won’t do it.

My own personal boycott.

And now this. Ugh! The one thing I can say is I agree with all of it. He reminds me of Paris Hilton and all those other people who are famous for being famous.

Obama’s Celebrity Revisited is revealed to day in this article. People have this to say about Obama:

On the surface, the “celebrity” charge is a personal attack on Obama, coupling him with people universally recognized as being famous just for being famous. But there may be something more going on here. A new poll by the Pew Research Center showed that about half of respondents felt they had been hearing too much about Obama recently while about 38 percent said they had not heard enough about McCain.

And this from Salon.com, I’m so bored with O-B-A-M-A:

This may be about the most lopsided margin in winning the headline wars since James Monroe ran virtually unopposed in the 1820 election. But now, with voters suddenly curious about McCain (judging from the Pew numbers), Obama may be a victim of too much too soon. As singers and comedians have known since the early days of vaudeville, the cardinal rule in show business is to leave the stage with the audience wanting more.

I’m yawning now. And here’s hoping I can stay awake until November.

No comments: